Sunday, April 22, 2007

"Freedom" of the press

There was a big Falun Gong parade in Causeway Bay today. I know this because I was stuck in a bus for over an hour due to the traffic jam caused by the parade. And yet, there was absolutely no mention of this on any of the news programs tonight.

Now, because of the sensitive nature of Falun Gong, it's hard not to think that all the local news stations chose not to mention this event to avoid provocation with the government. Which lead me to think, does "Freedom of the Press" refer to the freedom to disclose the news, or simply the freedom to release infomation at their discretion?

Personally, I've always believed that the press should report objectively and allow me to draw my own conclusions, although this obviously - and sadly - is becoming less and less the case.

At any rate, I would have liked to have known about the parade today so that I could have avoided going to Causeway Bay. It's bad enough to be delayed, but to be delayed by mindless fanatics like the 廢 "lun" 功 is extremely vexing...

2 comments:

said...

法輪功好有親切感--屋企附近長期有信徒派大紀元時報,仲有大量橫額添~

Ca Ca said...

法輪功呢d遊行成日都有架, 會遊經我屋企門口, 我可以係window 到望到tim, 不過次次新聞都係冇報導架 ... 咪以為香港好自由...