Thursday, July 12, 2007

Quantum Leap



I was cleaning out my desk today and decided to take on the tedious task of transferring all my floppy disks to my harddrive. Mind-numbingly dreary work, but thankfully I only had a couple dozen of floppies to deal with.

Just for fun, I copied the files to an MMC Mobile card (the smallest card I could find, even though there are smaller ones on the market). The entire stack of floppies took up a measly14% of memory. And this was just a 512MB card; a full sized 2G card would have ate the contents at the expense of less than 4% storage.

Some of the earliest files on the floppies dated back to 1995. Pretty amazing how far technology has developed in just 12 years. Makes you wonder what engineers will come up with over the next couple of years. I'm guessing they'll fit 50G in a card the size of a pinky fingernail.



No comments: