Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Blue Contagion?

Is it just me, or does the success of "Avatar" baffle anyone else?

Yes, it was an entertaining movie but I can't wrap my mind around all the accolades that this film has been getting. To me, "Avatar" is like a ride at an amusement park; it's enjoyable while you're on it but the experience soon fades after you leave the park.

Sure, it was nominated for 9 Oscars, but 5 of those are for technical accomplishments and none of them are for Acting or Writing. Which makes sense because the story basically follows the same formula as "Dances with Wolves" and "The Last Samurai". And even though "Avatar" was a leap forward in terms of movie making, from an audience's point of view it's nothing that we haven't already seen in "Beowulf" or "Up".
Again, I'm not saying that the movie was bad. But I definitely fall into the confused minority who can't figure out what the commotion is all about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The movie sucks!! No script, no acting, like a big
circus, flying monkeys all over the place !! It took
14 years, 14 years!! to direct what ? I hope it
won't win the best director or best movie, if it
does, shame on Hollywood !!!

BC

One Track Runner said...

I enjoyed the movie, but will not go as far as to say it was the best movie I have ever seen. I saw it in both 2D and IMAX 3D on the large IMAX, not the digital 3D.

Yes, special effects were great, but as far as story or acting, no awards from me.

I will buy the DVD when it comes out, but that's as far as I go.

Anonymous said...

People who don't have a life rave over stupid movies. They don't know any better, that's all.

Anonymous said...

People who don't have a life rave over stupid movies. They don't know any better. That's all.