Monday, April 13, 2009

Lower Ngau Tau Kok Estate


Street photography is a tricky thing. You need to take something that you see everyday and somehow make it look interesting.

Last week, I heard a news report on Lower Ngau Tau Kok Estate (牛頭角下邨), one of the last remaining old style Public Rental Housing estates left in Hong Kong. It's scheduled to be torn down in May so many people have been flocking there to snap photos of the place before it's gone forever.

Although I've been there before, I've never taken any photos of the place, so I took the opportunity to brush up on my Street photography skills.



Public Rental Housing estates are pretty much the same so I tried to focus on the items that make Lower NTK Estate stand out. One of these features are the stalls that sell street food








Security was beefed up because the residents were complaining about too many photographers walking around inside the buildings (there were actually police officers patrolling the hallways). I finally found an unguarded entrance and made my way inside (without intruding on anyone's privacy, of course).







Some sentimentalists have tried to keep the buildings as historical landmarks, but I'd have to disagree. The structures are so dilapidated that the area is just 1 step away from becoming a slum. Let the estate live on in our memories, but they've served their purpose and should be torn down for something better.








I was actually relieved when I went back outside. The dank halls were too prison-like for my comfort.



On a lighter note, it was nice to see people making memories in their own different ways















No comments: