Sunday, August 5, 2007

Still alive...

...although hardly living.

I guess it's been a while since my last post. I'd like to say that it's because I've been so busy living it up that I haven't had time to write, but sadly the opposite is true. Well, not really opposite; I have been busy, but in the non-fun category. Work has been kind of busy, and I've been studying a lot lately.

Back in mid-July, I was transferred to another team. In terms of job security, it's an improvement (because my old project team is scheduled to be disbanded) but in actuallity, it's been a big let down. After so many years on my old project, instead of being promoted to a higher spot I'm stuck starting from square one at this new team. Now normally I wouldn't mind, but the fact is that the stuff I'm expected to learn is so dead-end that it's just heart-deadening. All that time and effort spent on learning about a system that's old and slated to be replaced. Really does nothing for me careerwise.

Which is why I've started down the road of self improvement. Resumes have been sent, courses taken and self-study books purchased. I started my first session of a PMP (Project Management Professional) Certification exam prep course yesterday. It'll come in handy because I really want to focus more on management work, and my current job title isn't really indicative of such duties (even though I've been doing lots of project planning in the last couple of years).

It's the resume response waiting period that kills me. Will they call? Did they get my resume? Was it written well enough? Yaaaargh! Right now, I so want to get the SITO position in HSBC, 'coz having such a big and famous organization under my belt is bound to be more useful than my current HK Gov't experience.

But the more I've been studying, the more I realize how little I know. It's really been a bit of downer. sigh...

Anyways, the most exciting thing I've done in the last month was a photo session for some friends of friend. Didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. Partly because the weather was just so insanely hot, but mainly because I've lost touch with portait photography. I've been doing landscapes so much that I've forgotten the feel of shooting people. Sigh again...

A final random thought. While driving to the shoot location, my friend played some old songs on her car stereo. One song that really resonated was Eric Suen's "Love Story pt 2" (孫耀威, 愛的故事下集).

Don't you love it when you listen to a song you haven't heard in ages and suddenly it seems to hit you in a whole new light? That is, because of certain experiences that you've acquired during the years, the lyrics suddenly seem so deep and meaningful?

When I listened to Eric Suen's song about 12 years ago I thought the lyrics were OK but a bit corny. But listening to it again today after certain events in my life...whoah.

Them oldies really are goldies.

3 comments:

said...

萬事起頭難
+油~

Teru said...

Thanks. Ganbare!

kRiZcPEc said...

.
good to see you remain alive~~
and I suppose the toughest moment has past, otherwise you wouldn't publish this post, keep your spirit up. Your experience might secure you a career you are looking for.