Thursday, May 24, 2007

Culture Vulture

Seems that most people view HK as someone lacking in cultural knowledge, but the fact is that we have quite a few interesting museums, so I've made it a goal to visit each one by the end of this summer.

Today's target: The HK Heritage Museum

I chose this one first because it's currenly showing a Cameras Inside-out exhibit.



Gee, I wonder if this guy has a Superiority Complex:

A neat demonstration of 3D photography



An expensive piece of gear, but I still wouldn't want to carry something like this around. You know what they say about guys who drive expensive cars or carry around huge canons like this...


Most of the photos on display were pre-digital, B&W high grain stuff. Although my personal preference is color, there's no denying the impact that B&W is capable of delivering. There were a few that really moved me.

Chan Fou Li - War and Peace, 1951
A barbed wire fence juxtaposed with a pair of doves. Two simple yet strong symbols that come together in such a perfect way.

Chan Fou Li - Struggling, 1967

This photo represents the height of photography. Technique, timing and luck. The framing and exposure are dead-on, a sign of great technique, but having the V-shaped clouds positioned at just the right spot and having the parallel surf lines; that's the perfect example of being at the right place at the right time.

Francis Wu - Twisting and Turning, 1964

Nowadays an image like this is easy to come across. Basically anyone with a simple set of PhotoShop skill can produce an effect like this. But this shot was made in 1964. I can't even begin to imaging all the film manipulation that was involved to produce this snake-like blur.

There were some other exhibits, like the Tibetan artwork hall.





I saw this dragon was engraved on a vase. LOL, he's so pathetic looking! I thought Dragons were supposed to be Royal and Majectic. This poor sap looks like some kind of neurotic cartoon character.


The tag next to this pottery was labelled Tiger Shaped Urinal. You know, I don't think I'd be comfortable placing anything inside the gapping mouth of a tiger...
There was also a Chinese Opera Hall. Pretty standard stuff, but there was a booth called Virtual Make-Up that was pretty cool. After a quick photocapture, the program imports your face it into any template you choose from the main menu. My first attempt was off center and didn't go so well:

Got the hang of it on the next few tries:






Well, I guess that's anothe career choice I can know off my list.

No comments: