Sunday, June 28, 2009

Another rainy day

Another rainy day, another water drop shoot.

Different set-up this time. Not very glamourous: a tripod, a bag, a frying pan and a printed piece of paper (to reflect some patterns onto the water). I used the bag instead of the eyedropper so it was a lot easier to adust for the focus, since the drop pretty much lands in the same place each time.


I used a pencil to pinpoint where I wanted the focus to be, then turned off the auto-focus so that the focus was locked on the correct spot. Naturally, I had to recaliber every now and then, since the location of the drop would switch as the bag got empty.


I did these first 2 shots without the color paper. The blue color is because I set the white balance to tungsten, making everything blue.




These next shots were done with the colored paper. I bounced the flash off of the paper so that the red and blue pattern would be reflected in the water.
Am I crazy, or does this first one look like a clown with a long nose?









Near the end, I poked a few more holes into the bag to give a random slash effect. I love the power of photography. I mean, just think: these beautiful patterns happen everytime it's raining outside and yet we never see them because they happen so fast. But with the magically freezing power of photography, voila!

2 comments:

RonS said...

Hi, these are really great pictures. I always imagined these 'freeze frame' slow motion type shots would involve very high spec equipment but your first photo shows it can be done with fairly simple equipment (and a lot of patience I guess). I still don't know how you captured the right moment though - do you set the camera to take a burst of shots? However you do it, I love the final results.

Teru said...

Yep, photography really is an art of illusion. I always find it amusing to see the behind-the-scene photos because the set-up is usually so far from what the end results are.

As for capturing the right moment, you actually answered that in your previous sentence: patience. No bursts, just a single shutter setting. You get a feel for the timing after the first 200 or so drops...